This post or page may contain affiliate links for which I might receive a small commission, referral credit, or other incentive. Please refer to my disclosure policy.
By now you know that the Tax-Free Weekend in Texas is coming up on August 11th – 13th. You can purchase many back to school items, including clothing, shoes, backpacks, and school supplies without having to pay tax.
Here are a few tips you’ll want to know before you brave the crowds this weekend:
- Familiarize yourself with which clothing or footwear items and school supplies are exempt from being taxed
- Each individual item you purchase must be under $100
- Qualifying backpacks include those with wheels (as long as they can also be work on your back) and messenger bags
- You don’t have to pay tax on qualifying items when you put qualifying items on layaway; or make the final payment on something already on layaway
- You can shop in-store or online
- Shop early on Friday to beat the crowds
7 Things You Didn’t Know Were Tax Exempt
Even if you don’t have kiddos going back to school you can take advantage of these deals for yourself. I mean, who doesn’t need clothing and shoes? In addition, here are 7 things you didn’t know would be tax exempt this weekend. Head over here for a complete list of items.
- Diapers (adult and baby, cloth or disposable)
- Baby Bibs & Clothes
- Caps and Hats
- Costume Masks & Children’s Novelty Costumes
- Robes & Slippers
- Fishing and Hunting Vests